Friday, November 4, 2011

Bangkok Day 2 - Chatuchak Weekend Market



On Sunday, our 2nd full day in Bangkok, we took the sky train to the Chatuchak Market, a huge weekend market that covers 35 acre's and has more than 8,000 stalls. We were there for a couple of hours and prob only saw a fraction of the vendors! I imagine it was not nearly as crazy as it normally would be, with tourism so reduced from the flooding. That's got to be hard on the merchants but made it better for us. We didn't do a lot of buying - we mostly just wandered around looking a the goods. We did get some food, & toys for the kids. Having been to other markets, I'm not a huge fan of them. This one was better in that the vendors did not pester us like they have in the others like the Port of Kusadasi (Turkey), the Agora in Athens, & one we visited in Jamaica. I felt extremely vulnerable after the food vendor where we got some lunch warned me to carry my backpack in front of me instead of on my back because thieves would cut the straps & steal it. It was my camera backpack. I have read other photographers mention straps being cut. I felt like such a "target" after that I didn't even want to take my camera out. In spite of that, it was all very interesting & colorful, and probably wonderful for people who like to shop.

After the market we took the sky train back to a river stop & rode the ferry across to the condo. This was a house by the docks on the far side of the river from our condo...






That is actually our condo bldg in the background.




When we got to the other side we saw some preparations for the coming flood.



There was a small market between the ferry dock & the parking garage for our condo bldg. The convenience store got quite crazy before we finished picking up some water & snacks!







I liked the shopping baskets.....





Damien & Renee knew of an authentic New Orleans restaurant not too far away and really wanted to go for dinner that night. I was exhausted (no sleep from the time change) so I opted to babysit while they & Jim went out for Po-Boys, Gumbo and Red Beans & Rice. The kids & I watched the original Karate Kid, which I had brought them from the Walmart $5 bin. I didn't remember the bad language in that movie! Yikes! I guess our kids used to watch a censored version which we probably VCR'd off of TV. LOL

Read more: Chatuchak Market in Bangkok - Bangkok Weekend Market http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-market/popular-markets.htm#ixzz1bx7v6VTE

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Love the photos!! Keep them coming, but be sure to get in some, too, Margaret!!

Anonymous said...

Margaret, Love the pics, the kids are getting so big! You are having so many adventures on your visit.

Sheila